Sunday, 23 August 2015

Change


"The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself.”



It's been a long time since I posted here. I have been coping with big changes - divorce, re-training, new work and the sale and clearing of our big family house, moving, and furnishing our new, much smaller home. All the major things we need are now in place.

During this process I thought a surprising amount about sewing and blogging. Mostly day dreams about the things I would make, when.  I kept up my blog reading, which was a connection to sewing when I didn't have time to do any. I haven't always taken time out to leave a comment, but thank you. I really appreciated and enjoyed your updates.

So now life is busier than ever. The thought crossed my mind, perhaps I should give up sewing. However, I find it intensely absorbing and relaxing - has anyone else noticed that an hour spent sewing is a lot shorter than an hour doing housework?  Also, I don't enjoy shopping and I'm not easy to fit, as I am petite in height and average in every other respect apart from bust size. A life spent dressed in second had t-shirts doesn't sound too appealing. That's before I even get to the ethical issues.

So the sewing machine and overlocker are out of their covers. I'm starting back with some nightwear. I want easy to fit successes to begin with.

I thought about my blog, too. It has been in many ways experimental. I have sometimes been distracted by the style of other people, not to mention the massive amount of patterns now available. Colour analysis and the (first) Colette Wardrobe Architect project were ways I tried to identify what I wanted to make and wear, but strangely this time of 'not doing' has been more useful than either. Without consciously persuing anything I seem to have arrived at some conclusions!

The designs I like best are simple. It doesn't matter what era the pattern is from, I love a clean line. This was what I somehow couldn't get to when I was looking for a style word.
My five 'most worn' garments from the project.

I've also thoroughly revised my fabric and pattern stashes. I really enjoyed it, and I like knowing I have collections containing what I want to make and will use, instead of just collections! I confess to keeping some really strange secondhand fabrics. I have a bit of a blind spot in that area, and guess I will make some really strange clothes out of them.

Finally, I am working on a new blog which I hope will look cleaner and more modern. I will put a link up here when it's ready, which will be when I can capture one of my offspring long enough to take a couple of photos. 

Finally, I've really missed sewing and blogging. It's great to be back!

Love,
Philippa x

20 comments:

  1. And excellent to see that you are back - you have been missed! What an upheaval you have been through - I hope that now you are out the other side you can begin to do the things that you enjoy, and it is good to hear that sewing is one of them. I love the clothes that you make - very different to what I make, but that is the good things about it! I am looking at your lovely striped top and short skirts wishing that they suited me too - unfortunately they wouldn't, so ai will live vicariously though you!

    Blogs are funny old things. I started mine so that I can keep a record of the things I have made a learned. As a by product of that I received some very nice comments which I love, and sometimes I feel guilty for not posting. As long as I remember why I started the blog, then I am good! So here I am, sitting out in the garden in the sunshine, smelling woodsmoke (someone has a fire and it smells gorgeous, the dogs are content with their chews and for now, my next blog post can wait! I will enjoy this peace, catch up on other peoples blogs, and look forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are back! I have missed your voice. It sounds like such a life changing time you have been through. I hope you are well and enjoying your new home. I am glad sewing gives you relaxation and pleasure.
    I think about my blog and what I want for it more than I actually blog. I keep meaning to redesign but life gets in the way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Philippa! You were missed. Life is certainly always changing! Sounds as though you have done a great deal of reflection and have learned more about who you are....which is always a good thing. I'm looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. I've missed you! Sorry to hear about the massive changes in your life, but I'm hoping it's all for the best and you are now feeling good and more positive. I'm also glad you have decided to persevere with sewing. Think of it like a treat, something that you work for and deserve. And yes, I totally agree about it being absorbing and relaxing.

    I look forward to seeing your new blog, and your new makes as and when you manage them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I love the quote at the top of your post. So true.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! I've missed you blog (but very much enjoy your comments on mine), and look forward to hearing more for you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Philippa, lovely to see you back blogging again. Sorry you've been through such an upheaval in your life but good news that you are sticking with the sewing and blogging and have found them helpful. I find both to be very helpful in maintaining my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an awesome comment you started with - and a good reminder! Glad to know that you're settling in and that you're able to make space for being creative and taking care of yourself - it's important! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing what you do next ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so excited to see a post from you pop up! I missed you and your beautiful, thoughtful writing. I hope the process of acclimating to all of the changes is going well - major change is terrifying and exhilarating all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very excited and happy to see you blogging again too! I love your sense of style because it is so much like my own. Simple lines, classic patterns, and comfort as a priority. I like using primary colors too. You have really been through a lot and I can relate to sewing being soothing and relaxing during chaos. I'll send some prayers of strength your way as well has wishing you lots of creative mojo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you've been through such upheaval, but happy to see you back. Sewing is a recharging activity for me too; relaxing and absorbing and oh so satisfying.
    It's an ongoing process to pinpoint your own personal style I think; we change and grow all the time, and though we who sew don't necessarily have to fit in with current trends, it's nice to keep up with fashion too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for speaking so candidly about what you've been going through, sweet lady. I admire your strength to no end, as I do your desire to keep sewing. So often in times of challenge/hardship/strife, our passions get put on the back burner, when in fact they can actually be saving graces of sorts for us. It's wise and wonderful that you're able to see sewing as such for yourself (and that it is indeed such), and I hope that you're able to keep the bobbins working overtime throughout the rest of this year and long beyond.

    Huge hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so excited to see a post from you pop up! I missed you and your beautiful, thoughtful writing. I hope the process of acclimating to all of the changes is going well - major change is terrifying and exhilarating all at once.
    **
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    GCLUB มือถือ
    **

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bleach Vs Naruto, one of the most famous fighting games in the world, has a new update to you! In this version of Bleach vs Naruto 3.0 which is the same as the other updates, you will fight against maintaining SonnatTAT. Bleach Vs In Naruto 3.0, we hope you have a good time with good fun.

    ReplyDelete